Come to think of it, the idea of slaughtering the enemy hordes with my Spork of Doom while accompanied by soft classical music does have a certain psychotic intimidation value all its own. ;-)
* On a more serious note, Ray Kurzweil is the man. Last month he gave the keynote address at the Killer App Expo, and the video is available online. He talks a lot about his current predictions for the future- mapping the brain, human-level computers, and the life expectancy of the average person increasing at a rate of 1 year per year. More importantly, he talks about when he expects these advances to come about- all within 22 years or less. Kurzweil sounds terribly optimistic or even quixotic, but he's a brilliant guy with an impressive track record of accurately predicting technological advances.
* I ran Software Update the other night and rebooted Gir for the first time in over 40 days. He seems to handle long uptimes reasonably well. I wish I could say the same for Firefox or Safari, both of which start to choke on themselves if left running with between 60 and 100 tabs open for more than a couple of weeks. Yes, I abuse my browsers. I also know that for servers "long" uptimes are measured in years, but this is a laptop for frag's sake!
* People who write browser plug-ins that preserve the state of your tabs when the browser quits or crashes should be nominated for both sainthood and the Nobel Prize. As an aside, I recently learned that having two different plug-ins doing that same job is not being too careful!
* I just got e-mail from Apple with the word "fucking" in it. :-)
* Okay, I'll explain. I bought a song called "The Fucking Moon" from iTMS, and got the e-mail receipt. What's funny is that on iTMS they call it "The F*****g Moon", and that's what the filename is as well. Strangely enough, it doesn't have an "Explicit" tag, despite the fact that half of the song is swearing.
* [whine]My right arm hurts.[/whine]
* This whole "getting out of work more or less on time" thing rocks!
Happy Friday, all!